The Leafy Green Machine™, our climate-controlled, indoor, hydroponic growing system, requires no previous farming experience to operate. However, those already managing successful farms can reap extra benefits. Aside from extending your season—and of course, your income—into the full calendar year, our soil farmers always appreciate conveniences like harvesting upright, forgetting about weeds, avoiding pests, and many more.
Here are 10 ways An Existing Farm Can Benefit
from A Leafy Green Machine™.
1) Extend your season – expand your income. Inside the Leafy Green Machine™, it’s always growing season. Grow and sell leafy greens 365 days a year without fear of unexpected frosts, droughts, or storms. The LGM™ ensures a stable base income, and adds diversity to your business. Show your buyers that you’re a consistent supplier, capable of providing high quality and hyper-local produce regardless of the season.
2) Every farmer needs a farmhand®. Farming is famously difficult. But while the LGM™ still requires work, your hydroponic crop will be the simplest to manage, thanks to farmhand®. Each LGM™ is outfitted with sensors that monitor air and water conditions and adjust automatically. These levels can be monitored, analyzed, and controlled remotely, so you have extra time to focus on your other growing operations… or just relax.
3) Optimize what you already own. Even the most efficient farms tend to have a bit of unproductive square footage, whether it’s shady, rocky, or just too small. The LGM™ is a simple way to transform that land into a high efficiency growth space. All you need is a 50’x10’ plot to grow an additional 2–4 tons of produce per year.
4) Harvest standing up. Studies show 26% of farmers and ranchers experience chronic back pain. The common causes of chronic back pain are “ergonomic stressors” such as forceful exertions, stooping, and continuous bending. By farming in the Leafy Green Machine™ you’re able to avoid all of these stressors. Our lightweight vertical towers attach and detach easily, while planting and harvesting is all performed on the waist-high worktable.
5) Grow more money-makers. As the name suggests, the Leafy Green Machine™ is optimized to grow leafy greens (view the whole list here). And while all greens can be profitable, those grown inside the LGM™ are clean, pesticide-free, and available year-round in any climate. These factors help many of our farmers command premium prices, especially in direct-to-consumer sales channels like farmers’ markets or CSAs.
6) Two words: NO WEEDING. In the LGM™, the only plants that grow are the ones you want to grow.
7) No more pesky pests. The closed nature of the Leafy Green Machine™ keeps critters out of the farm and away from your crop. This helps to keep your produce compliant with food safety standards and your yields extremely high (on average 94% of produce grown is marketable).
8) Get your money’s worth. At $85,000, the LGM™ costs less to purchase and maintain than most commercial-grade farming equipment. On average, our farmers fully recoup their original investment within three years.
9) Favorable financing. We understand that adding a Leafy Green Machine™ to your current growing operations is a commitment, therefore we’re very excited to offer several financing options. As a business owner with farming experience, you’re in a great position to secure low-interest financing and become and Freight Farmer right away.
10) Tax-deductible. Like other farming equipment, the Leafy Green Machine™ qualifies as a “single-purpose horticultural structure” under Section 179 of the IRS tax code. This means you can deduct the full cost of the LGM™ from your annual taxable income, saving $8.5-$30k (depending on your income tax bracket).
We understand that many farmers are unfamiliar with hydroponics, which is why we make the learning process as easy as possible. Upon purchasing the Leafy Green Machine™, we invite you to Farm Camp – an intensive training program for two key operators. Once you get set up, our Farmer Success team is always a call away.
Want to learn more? Contact us to discuss the details of the 2017 Leafy Green Machine™ or to purchase a unit.