This position will support Freight Farms’ Farming as a Service program. The farm assistant will be responsible for operating Leafy Green Machines (LGMs) in the Greater Boston Area and also help with Freight Farms’ onsite research LGM.
Operation includes seeding, transplanting, and harvesting, as well as cleaning and other maintenance tasks to ensure proper and safe food handling and growing in the LGM. Farm Assistants will be trained at Freight Farms HQ in Boston, including farm camp and mentorship with the farm team.
- Initially launching and ramping up an LGM with the help of our training course and Client Services
- Growing inside container hydroponic farms (LGMs), including seeding, transplanting, harvesting, and packing
- Work with Client Services team to report and troubleshoot any issues with the farm
- Cleaning and maintenance of the hydroponic farms, including general farm cleaning, refilling water and nutrient tanks, and calibrating sensors
- Ordering supplies and consumables for the LGM
- Periodically running 1 hour in farm sessions to teach interested clients about Freight Farms
- Help with packing and distributing CSA shares
- Interest in hydroponics and agtech
- Knowledge of basic agricultural growing practices, particularly around controlled environment agriculture
- Experience growing crops, either hydroponically and/or traditionally
- Strong problem solving skills
- Inhabit a solution oriented mindset
- Ability to be on your feet up to 8 hours a day and partake in manual labor
- Good team player and consistent, cohesive communication skills
- Access to a car to visit multiple farm sites around the Boston area
- Strong, reliable, independent worker
Please send your resume to email@example.com and tell us why you'd be a good fit for the position!