How Freight Farmers Grow
Year-Round in Harsh Climates.
The secret to a successful Leafy Green Machine™ starts with the perfect container. After this, our manufacturing team adds key environmental control components to guarantee year-round crop production.
The following features are standard to all our farms. They take the guesswork out of farming and create an environment for your plants (and business) to prosper.
Only the most structurally-sound steel refrigerator freight containers are repurposed to become Leafy Green Machines™. Three inches of insulation protects plants from harsh weather conditions, allowing the farm to stay cool in the heat of summer, warm on the coldest of winter days, and dry in the worst storms. We seal the deal and add a protective layer of sealant on the roof to prevent any leaks during heavy rain or snow.
Our refurbished refrigerator containers all have state-of-the-art, industrial walk-in freezer doors. These doors keep your farm at an optimal temperature, humidity, and CO2 level. All you have to do is make sure to secure the door when you enter or exit the Leafy Green Machine™. For colder climates, there is also an anti-frost doorframe heater.
The LGM™ has a series of environmental sensors that constantly measure climate conditions such as temperature and humidity. The sensors relay the information to the in-farm controller, which responds by automatically making changes with the use of:
- LED lights. Not only do the vertical, high-efficiency LEDs mimic sunlight and deliver growth-optimized spectrums of red and blue light, they are the key heat source for the farm. The LED lights inside the farm provide enough heat to eliminate the need for a traditional heater, even in extremely cold climates.
- Air Conditioning. On hot days, the LGM™ can keep cool with a hardworking 2-ton, 2,400 BTU A/C unit. This standard unit has the same output as a commercial freezer, meaning that your plants can thrive on the hottest of days.
- Dehumidifier. During extreme weather, the temperatures inside and outside of the farm can become drastically different, causing the farm to become very humid. As a result of high humidity, plant growth and farm yields can be negatively affected. The dehumidifier system regulates humidity levels by pulling the extra moisture out of the air and filtering it back into the tanks. In addition to reducing the humidity inside the farm, this helps our Freight Farmers to reduce their water usage by filtering excess moisture back into the tanks.
Tips from Our Farm Systems Expert
- Keep your farm in the shade to reduce your A/C electricity costs during the hottest months.
- We encourage all our Freight Farmers to customize the outside of their LGM™ with a branded vinyl wrap. However, choose light reflecting colors, such as white, and avoid light-absorbing dark colors, such as black. Your farm will heat up less during the sunny months, and you can save on A/C electricity costs.
- Snow can be your friend! Having snow piled up against the sides of your LGM™ adds an extra layer of insulation, which helps keep the inside of your farm toasty warm.
Meet Our Extreme Farmers
Ready to start farming in your own Leafy Green Machine™? Connect with sales today.